Fasting Days: Good or Bad?
Nutritionists typically call short mono diet a fasting day to be. In this case, menu should contain only one kind of food once per week such as apples, sour milk, chocolate + 2 liters of water. Energy value of such a menu should not exceed 1000 calories. Body spends a greater amount of energy than it consumes. So, it is compensating lack in calories using «additional» resources.
Rough change of menu favorably affects human body boosting metabolism. Digestive tract does not have to work hard, gut gets clean and excessive fluids are removed. The latter helps to lower cholesterol level and blood sugar as well as to decrease allergic reactions. One fasting day takes away about 2 kg of weight. One starts to feel energetic and eats less food.
Such a method can also have negative consequences such as worsen preexisting sicknesses and mood as well as result in weight gain. State of health, proper adherence to the dieting rules as well as right mental attitude affect usefulness of fasting days.
Origin of Fasting Approach
Russian doctor Pevzner developed 15 diets in 30s of 20th century. The diets were used to treat stomach ulcer, gastritis, liver diseases and some other sicknesses. Diet №8 for obese people based on menu with decreased energy value of 1600 to 1850kcal/day). So, patient should stick to one-day mono diet with energy value of up to 600kcal. Menu includes usual meals which are steamed or boiled and are spices free as well as contain minimum amount of salt. Energy deficiency is reached due to low number of carbs and fats. This diet should be combined with walking and hydrotherapeutic procedures. Therapeutic exercising promotes weight loss without a need to undergo intensive physical activity. Change in nutrition makes body to use additional resources and say goodbye to excessive fat.
- Body gets protein from white chicken meat and codfishes. Fat free milk and curd as well as young cheeses and sour milk drinks and seafood do the job, as well. One needs to consume 100 to 110 grams of protein per day.
- Fats are restricted so one should have around 80 to 90 grams of fats per day in a form of vegetable oi, fish and milk products.
- Meals made from seasonal vegetables ensure right course of digestion. Soups made using vegetable broth and containing minimum amount of potatoes and porridge are also good to go with. Braised cabbage, pumpkin, zucchini and carrots are right things to stick with. Raw cucumbers, tomatoes and salads should comprise 2/3 of a total amount of greens consumed during fasting days.
- Unsweet berries and fruits, compotes and jellies with xylitol will diversify menu and serve as a nice dessert.
- One should consume up to 120 to 150 grams of carbs per day. Buckwheat and oatmeal porridge should be consumed in moderation during breakfast and lunch times. One can also have some rye bread and potatoes.
One should not have sweets, canned fruits, vegetables and meat as well as sweet fruits such as watermelon, bananas and figs as well as pastries, heavily seasoned dishes with porridge and beans within.
Pevzner developed recipes which can be used during fasting days when only one product can be consumed. Mineral water, tea and sugar free coffee are drinks to go with during such days.
- Non-starchy veggies should be consumed in an amount of up to 2 kg in a raw and braised form without salt added.
- Curd of up to 2% of fat should be consumed in an amount of 800 grams.
- Boiled lean meat such as chicken or beef should be consumed in an amount of 500 grams.
- 15% smetana can be consumed in an amount of 500 grams.
- Not so sour milk can be consumed in an amount of 7 glasses.
The Right Ways to Spend Fasting Days
1. Choose the favorite products to enjoy fasting therapy.
2. Consider amount of used energy and weight when calculating calories. Reduce mental and physical load.
3. Have some light food during weekend. Sleep or invent some nice things to do so that you don’t think about eating all the time. If you get very hungry, then have a glass of nonfat yogurt.
4. Fasting days can be heavy on liver. This is why you should have one spoon of vegetable oil first thing in the morning as well as couple of bile-expelling herbal extract instead of usual tea.
5. Don’t forget to drink enough when you are spending fasting day drinking sour milk. Have some water do not feel too hungry.
6. Do not eat too much the day before and after fasting as you will just gain more weight. One day diet is very effective as a part of regular healthy nutrition.
7. Consider your state of health and contraindications in terms of fasting. Do not go heavy on it if you have some certain disease.
Even one day diet requires you to be mentally ready to it. If you are experiencing some problems at work or in family, then you should do it some other time. Otherwise you may start to feel very sad and depressed. Don’t use fasting day to punish yourself for eating too much during some party. Too much food is not good for stomach, but too little of it will make you very hungry. Think about whether you are ready to stick with mono diet. If you doubt that you are, then you just stick with healthy nutrition gradually adjusting it in a suitable way.
Types of Fasting Days: Hungry, Normal and Half-Days to Lose Weight
Mono diet implies fasting. Nutrition should be low in calories, salt free and very monotonous: buckwheat should be made using water, meat should be lean and cucumbers are greens to go with. You should drink unsweetened tea and water in an amount of 2 liters.
Normal fasting day is for people who are not able to stand rough change in nutrition or serious dietary restrictions. Curd and fruits, lean meat and greens, seafood and greens are good combinations to go with as fat as nutritional value of meal does not exceed 1600kcal.
Fasting half-days are based on biorhythm features. Body is using fat resources before lunch time, and accumulates them afterwards. So, one can have some sweets, fat foods and pastries before 12:00. Calories will transform to energy and won’t cause weight gain. You should have something low in calories for lunch, dinner and as an evening snack. Fasting is easy to stand if it is done in this way. Dietary half-days should be arranged few times per week.
One can lose up to 1,5-2 kg during fasting day. Don’t panic if you will gain all lost kilos back the day after. 200-150 grams of lost weight is accounted for fat, and the rest of weight is a water which always returns once you start eating normally. Short-term diet aims at boosting metabolism, not at quick weight loss. Regularly eating healthy meals (4 to 5 times per day), moving enough and sleeping well, you will always stay fit. Human body easily spends additional resources after fasting than without it.
Salty fish or cheese consumed after fasting day will disturb water and salt balance. Excessive fluid will show up on scales as an additional weight.
Digestive organs get some rest and cleanse themselves during fasting days. Body gets ready to moderate consumption of healthy food. One starts to feel very energetic.
Such a diet can have a favorable effect only in absence of contraindications. Otherwise it will worsen your health and mental state.
- One should not stick to protein diet in presence of kidney diseases. Toxic substances are released during breakdown of proteins, therefore kidneys will have to work in full to remove excessive toxic substances from body.
- Apples cause strong production of gastric juice. Increase in acidity worsens gastritis and stomach ulcer.
- Buckwheat is rich in rough dietary fibers which are hard to digest. This is why it should not be consumed in presence of digestive issues.
- Meat should not be consumed in presence of increased level of uric acid which causes gout.
- Nutrition should not be roughly changed during pregnancy and breastfeeding and in presence of diabetes as it can cause rough change of blood sugar level which poses life danger. Strokes and cardiac infarctions are states after which one should not change nutrition as well as blood may thicken and cause blockages of the blood vessels.
- One should not have fasting days twice per week as such a practice will disturb metabolism, cause vitamin deficiency, digestive issues and muscular dystrophy.
- One should clean intestines during 3 days eating products rich in fiber before commencing fasting.
- One should not diet in depressive state of mind.
Fasting days are good for health granted properly chosen nutrition and absence of contraindications. Right mental attitude towards gradual weight loss and sticking with healthy nutrition as well as not living sedentary style of life will strengthen positive results achieved during mono dieting. One will lose some weight and feel energetic, stomach will work properly and mood will be fine. This is how it all works if everything goes right. If you don’t feel well and are not achieving great results, then you should not stick with such a diet as it will rather harm you than do you any good.